We just completed the 26th year of Saint Margaret’s opening our doors to the homeless men on the eastside who are in need. Scott Backus and I thought we would provide you with our valuation of the costs to serve the men of Congregations for the Homeless during the month of September. We have estimated the cost of both hands-on service and dollar donation equivalents. The figures used have been determined based upon our experience of more than 13 years. This year our team increased to 13 regular members. Scott and I would like to thank all of our brothers and sisters, especially our core team as we could not make a September Shelter happen without your help. We endeavored to improve our communications with our Sister Churches; Saint Madeline Sophie Catholic Church and Holy Cross Lutheran and we hope that we might establish some fellowship activities between our congregations this coming year. This ministry is truly a testament to and of our congregation as we serve in the spirit of our patron Saint Margaret Queen of Scotland.
- Grocery donations from over 50 parishioners and one special benefactor
- Over $2684.00 in grocery donations
- Over 80 parishioners and some renters and outside community have provided meal service for 12 days
- Over 315 hours have been offered in service for meals (does not include two other parishes)
- Over 80 hours have been offered in grocery procurement
- Over $4294 has been donated in meal value equivalent
- We were unable to assist with the costs for the Dental van this year as Congregations was unable to find the necessary providers. In the past number of years, we have covered half the costs ($400) which in turn would provide for 12,300 in donated medical services
- Deacon Brian Wright took charge of our securing new jackets and warmer clothing for many of the men. Due to the generosity of our congregants we were able to provide new jackets, socks and other needed winter items for everyone in the shelter for September. Thank you all.
- Over $11,278 in kind donation of church usage for overnight care for the month (32.5 men per night over 31 days (we opened our program one day earlier this year). 37 men spent one or more nights for in the shelter for the 31 days. We estimate the in-kind donation for the 31 days is 1007 bed nights at the value of $11.20 per day lodging. This includes all of our additional operations costs for the month.
God has truly blessed us.
In His Blessing,
Mike Knowles and Scott Backus